Monday 1 December 2008

What is my path to completing an Ironman?

An Ironman consists of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112-mile bike ride and a 26.2 mile run. So far I have swam that distance in a pool but not in open water and not for a long time; I have never riden that far and I have never run that far.

Therefore I plan to...
Enter and complete an Ironman 70.3 (Half an Ironman)
Swim in the open water more often and increase my mileage
Run at least one marathon before the Ironman 70.3
Train to run and cycle long distances, reaching full Ironman distance before the Ironman 70.3
Enter distance running and cycling races


May the fun commence!

1 comment:

Missy said...

Yeah for Ironman! You can do it! I will tell you that I did one 70.3in 2007 (just to see if I liked it)and two in 2008 in preparation for Ironman in November. At no time did I run a full marathon distance (longest run was 17 miles) in prep for either b/c I am prone to injury. My IM marathon split was 4:40 and I was thrilled with that, passing lots of people along the way. Just a thought for you as you get ready!