Friday 5 December 2008

Fitness Assessment Part 1

I had a fitness assessment today at Edinburgh University gym!

I enjoyed the experience it was hard but it is going to get harder.

It started with a chat, blood pressure, 124/84, heart rate 76bpm (I had cycled to the fitness assessment!), height check, 5ft5.5", and a weight in, 61 kg. The weighing machine also assessed my body mass which came out at a respectable 25%, fairly low for a woman.

This was followed by a test to assess the lungs. Blowing into a tube, attached to a machine. The measured my lung capacity, not to good, and my lung power, also not to good. I then mentioned that I was asthmatic. I got a bit of a green card.

Next came the grip test. I'm not sure what this tested for, I'll have to get back to you. However, with my right hand/arm I was very strong, one of the strongest women he has seen in a while. My left hand was not so good, 7 points lower.

Press ups came next, oh joy. I was allowed to do girlie press ups on my knees. I've never done this before, I always done 'manly' press ups... badly. Apparently at 20 my core went, soon after I noticed I was using my right arm to do most of the work, protecting my weaker left side. I reached about 35 when I admitted defeat. I was told that this was still a good result.

Upstairs we went to a static bike. This is where my true weakness's started to show. Lee want to prove to me some the areas that I need to develop. On the bike I did a series of spinning followed by a sprint, spin for a minute, sprint for 10 secs, spin 50 sec, sprint 20 sec, spin 30 sec and finally 30 sec easy. I was out of breath after the first 10 secs! Coaching thought the second 2 sprints saw my posture and breathing improve, as well as my fast twitch muscles learning the ropes.

The core was the hardest. I was under the illusion that my core would be OK. I was very wrong. I was shown several exercises that I now have to do every day.

To summaries, I am currently built for endurance, not speed. Lucky considering I'm planning to do an Ironman! However, I don't have the supporting structures of core, lungs and fast twitch muscles to support me once I start getting tired. I am also wonky, many would say that they knew that already. I think this wonk may be due to dislocating my hip when I was twenty and a week left rotator cuff left over from my swimming days.

Although I have received a few home truths, I have been left inspired and motivated. I have a good base to start from and time to work on everything.

Watch this space...

2 comments:

Missy said...

Ah, ha! I have asthma too..thankfully, you just have to be able to hang in there (for Ironman) without much anaerobic work. Advair and Proventil are my friends:) Do not be deterred, core and muscles and be 'built' to help those lungs!

Born To Endure said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, it meant a lot!!