Thursday 24 September 2009

Sunrise

This morning I woke at 5.45am.  After hiding under the pillow for a while trying to go back to sleep I decided that, as I was awake, I should get up and go for my run.  This oppossed to getting another hours sleep then rushing around trying to get the right stuff ready, faffing and probably arriving at work late having not run as far as I would have liked!

So I left the house in the dark at about 6.30am.  The sky was rapidly beginning to lighten so I didn't need a head torch, but it wont be long.  After a couple of miles along the flat I entered Holyrood Park from the Duddingston entrance and took an immediate right.  This route, new to me, took me up lots of uneven stairs to the top road round Arthur's Seat.  I got 2/3 up the stairs and stopped, rested then finished them off then followed this up with a steep hill to the road.

I stopped again and turned to look at the view.  It was stunning.  The horizen was bathed in rose coloured light.  There was just enough light to see the city stretched out below but the street lights were also still on.  It really looked like half day and half night.  Very pretty.

I turned once more to face the hill.  I ran to the top of the grass section stopping twice to 'look at the view'/get my breath back.  THe hoizen was getting more and more beautiful as the depth of pinks, roses and oranges grew.  I thought, if I get a wriggle on, I may make it to the top for sunrise.  It was going to be tough.  It was going to be touch and go.

I dug down and stode on up.  Running isn't so possible at the top as you I need to use my hands to scramble up.  I stopped to check out the sunrise regularly, hoping to catch the sun break the horizen where ever I got to.

I made it to the top!  Three others were buried deep in their winter jackets waiting for the splendor to being.  I sat down with my arms wrapped around me to keep warm, and watched.

Sunrise is truely one of the most beautiful times of the day and today was no exception.

The big ball of fire suddenly burst over the horizen.  The underside of the clouds were bathed in reds, oranges, yellows and pinks and every shade in between.  The sun slowly rose from its night time slumber filling our hearts with joy and awe.  Blinding us and burning off any negativity to start the day fresh and new.

I didn't stay to watch the sun duck under its daytime cover of cloud.  I was getting chilly.  But I was smiling to myself all the way, still bathed in the joy.

What a great start to the day.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Sounds JUST beautiful. Hard but beautiful. ...you know how it is, I just had to read hubs your line about your head torch (as opposed to your head lamp). Sometimes, it's just the little things you need to make you smile, those little differences. Cheers!