Wednesday 16 September 2009

Paying for it!

The problem with having a break from training; and then having a great first day; is the risk that you may push your self harder than you should in your enthusiasm to be back.  The consequences are that you hurt the next day.

Yup, that is me today.  My quads and calves are really sore.

A risk of getting sore so early in training is that you then take a day or so off to recover!

I didn't do this and I'm very proud of myself.

This morning I went out on my bike with the intention of cycling two 5 mile time trials.  I headed out to the start of the course, about 6.5 miles, feeling particularly stiff and wondering if I could just go for a ride instead.  I persevered with the first 5 miles though I hurt and didn't feel like I was going very quick.  Indeed, I only averaged 17.4 mph.  Through out those 5 miles I was wondering if I could cut it short, if I could maybe just cycle back easily or maybe head to the coast instead.  After a bit of a spin I gave myself a good talking too and turned around to start the second 5 miles.  This was helped by the fact that the course was not flat.  It is slightly more uphill on the way out and therefore slightly down hill on the way back.  Sure enough, though it still hurt, my average on the return leg was 19.4 mph.  I took it real easy cycling home!

I'm dead chuffed that I did the session and didn't bail out.  May the good motivation continue as the nights draw in.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Way to hang in there! Looks like some good totals to me and some really great pictures as well.