Wednesday 19 August 2009

White Water Racer

I had my first session in a White Water Racer (kayak) on Saturday.

A White Water Racer, it was ace!

We went to Loch Ore, in Fife. We were hoping for a nice flat loch where the conditions would challenge me too much. Unfortunately it was pretty windy. Oh well, this is Scotland!

I was expecting to spend a lot of time in the water so I donned my wetsuit. Sure enough, I had capsized within a couple of strokes. Not put out, I swam to shore and got back in. I braced myself, looked at the horizon and paddled. To my surprise and the surprise or my mate, I went a good few hundred meters! And the I capsized. Apparently the challenge of a WWR is staying stable when your still. It is not too bad when your paddling. Sure enough, I could paddle ok if I was heading into the wind but if I tried to turn or stop I would go for a swim.

I only stayed out for an hour before I was shattered. It was great to be learning something new and to do well at it on my 1st time. My mate thought I was going to spend most of my time in the water swimming and having an emotional breakdown! But much to his surprise I only capsized 5 times! I think he was looking forward to a little bit of humour at my expense. Don't worry Al, I'm sure there will be plenty of other occasions!

No comments: