Monday 11 May 2009

Long Run

What a stunning morning for a run. There was hardly a cloud in the sky and just the right temperature to run in a t-shirt but not get too hot. (I did wear gloves though, my hands get soooo cold.

The plan was to run at race pace, put in some hill sprints at 3/4 of the way round and finish off running any way I could. I decided to run to work (drop the work bag), run to Portobello along the promenade, run to Holyrood park, do 10 short hill sprints, then jog back to work.

This worked a treat. When I got to work (3 miles), I had a wee drink. I then ran along the sea front for 5 miles. Stunning, simply stunning. The sea was as flat as a millpond. The sun was shining, there was a gentle breeze to keep me cool and the fresh smell of salt. At mile 8 I popped in to a gym for another quick drink and headed to Holyrood park.

I miss judged the distance a bit and didn't make it to the hill for 1.5 hours in to the run so I did 10 second sprints followed by 10 second easy. I was supposed to hurt. It was supposed to make me feel nauseous. I was supposed to find it hard to finish. The sprints did hurt, I didn't feel too sick and I didn't find it too hard to finish the run to work.

I was totally stoked by the run. 12 miles before work is great. AND in 1hr50min! That is a PB for me and would have ended in a sub 2hr 1/2 marathon if I had don't another mile.

As a result, I think that I need to either run quicker (?) or judge my distances better and get those sprints on a hill. I think I'll try for the later.

I'm loving my running now, even if I couldn't walk properly for the rest of the day!

1 comment:

Missy said...

Nice job out there! I bet it was a beautiful run where you live. Wow. Sometimes, the peace and the view is 'enough.'