Sunday 17 May 2009

I can do this!

Saturdays are a mega training day for me. The plan is to do swimming, cycling and running. Really push the body in these last few weeks before I can start to taper (only 11 weeks to race day!)

I have had doubts in my head in my ability to do my Half Ironman in Antwerp on 2nd August. Yesterday, I had a realisation. I can do this!

This is what happened...

I left the house at 7.30 and cycled 6.5 miles to swim training. Swam for an hour, about 2500m. Had some luck warm porridge then jumped on my bike. I haven't been cycling with this group before, but it didn't matter, they weren't cycling in their normal groups either! 40 miles later we arrived back at the swimming pool were I grabbed my swim kit and cycled the 6.5 miles home. When I got home, I stripped off some layers, put on my trainers and went for a run. The legs and body will always feel sluggish off of a long run so I just grinned, with my head held high and put one foot in front of the other. I was going to do 3 miles but after 2 I decided that I could, and should, do more. So I continued on my 5 mile route. At mile 3 I put in ten 10 second 'sprints' followed by 20 seconds of recovery jogging. The sprints got slower and slower and so did the recovery jogs but I kept it up. I then jogged the last mile, down hill, to home.

I did the maths.

I swam over race distance. I cycled 4 miles short of race distance. I ran over a third of race distance but also included 10 sprints.

I started the day at 7.30am and finished at 1.45pm. 6 hours 15 minutes. Including 30min faff before and after swim, including faff of taking my bike up to my flat and slowly changing my footwear.

I can do this race! Yippee!

1 comment:

Missy said...

Tons of comfort just knowing you can DO the distance. Nice job!