Monday 23 March 2009

Madness? Part 2

I made it to Kilmarnock! But the fates were out to stop me at the start.


My luck with punctures made me go the one of the local bike shops on the way to work on Friday to get a new tyre. They checked the tube for me, they fitted it for me and they pumped it up for me.





Saturday morning I got ready to go out went to take my bike outside, dead on 9am as planned and... A flat tyre.

I could have screamed, I could have cried, but I didn't. I calmly checked out the opening time of all the bike shops in Edinburgh for the one that opened the earliest, text SM about the delay and headed to the shop.

I was on the road again by 10am. Not too bad.


The route is fairly hilly in that slow, gradual, draining kind of way. The profile doesn't quite do it justice I feel. Oh, maybe it does on second glance.

The long and the short of it, I made it to Kilmarnock in 6 hours, 5hrs on the bike computer. I wasn't in a hurry, I wasn't looking for a specific time, I just wanted to do the distance. I had a head wind to keep me company, and it did a good job of that, and I had my radio. I was happy.

I got to Kilmarnock in great spirits and demanded food. SM delivered in the form of microwave butter popcorn (a great quick carb and salt fix!), risotto and then whisked me off to the cinema to see Watchmen! (Hummmm. I like the comic book films as a rule but Watchmen might need to be watched again before I decide what I think.). We were in bed by 10pm! Boy, what an exciting gal to have around!

1 comment:

Missy said...

Yeah, early to bed routines will become more and more common! It happens. Hope he hangs in there. Sorry about the tire:(