Saturday 29 November 2008

Half marathon training

Training has been a mixed bag. After I sprained my ankle I didn't run for several weeks, but rode my bike to and from jobs, cranking up quite a few miles.


Training started in ernest in September. I ran a short run on Mondays and Wednesdays with the occasional Tuesday. I then did a long run on a Saturday that built up over the weeks. My mileage varied from 6 miles a week to 21 miles a week.

Although I followed the programme from the Internet, I didn't worry about missing a Tuesday run. I continued to commute to work on my bike so it seemed daft to run if I didn't feel like it. Indeed, my fastest 5K time was after a rest day in which I was supposed to run.

I also had a series of trips away that made training hard. It started with a weekend in Glencoe where I spent 7 hours climbing Bideon Nam Bar on the Saturday. On the Sunday, Kate and I ran along the West Highland Way from Glencoe to Kinlochleven which was spectacular. I had five days in Glen Etive with work. No running could be done as the bothy is surrounded by bog! I came home with the worst cold that I have had for a long while. It eventually lasted about three weeks!

I followed Glen Etive with a trip to Frankfurt for five days to visit a friend. Although I was still recovering from the cold, I managed a 2 hour game of touch rugby that left me stiff for 4 days and a 5K run around the centre of Frankfurt. The run round the city was great!

Finally I went to visit my brother, sister-in-law and niece in High Wycombe for 4 days. This photo is from my 8 mile run along the Thames. A stunning day!



In the ten weeks of training, I certainly learnt that the normal runs in town could be very boring. I contrast, however, I learnt how wonderful running can be to see new and different areas.

No comments: