Saturday 29 November 2008

Buchlyvie Half Marathon, 16th November 2008

The morning of Buchlyvie half marathon was stunning. The weather could not be more perfect. It was a crisp, cool morning with no clouds in the sky and no wind.

I started the race from the back, keen not to fall in to the trap of running too quickly at the start.


I still ran an 8.30 split for the first mile. The second mile was worse at 8 min! I gave myself a talking to, I had to slow down or I wouldn't finish. For the next 6 or so miles I ran 9 minute miles. This was still quick for me but I felt comfortable.

I should have been stronger and slowed myself down to nine and half minute miles because by mile 9 I was hitting the wall. My splits got longer and longer. I probably could have walked quicker than I was running by the end!

I turned the corner on to the homeward straight only to be faced with 2 laps of a muddy playing field!




I started walking. The muddy field was too much for me. I walked round the final corner and started running again, sprinting to the finish line.



2:05.46 by my watch.



Whilst I was disappointed that I had not run under 2 hours, I was philosophical. I had only been training for 11 weeks and that had been mixed. I had enjoyed the experience. It had reaffirmed that I can keep going, even if I'm struggling.

Praying to the recovery god!

No comments: