Thursday 18 February 2010

Speight's Coast to Coast race report: Part 1

The Speights Coast to Coast happened last weekend and boy was it interesting!

For many, the biggest challenge is just getting to the start line.  This was a challenge, on many levels, but it was just one of many that happened over the weekend.

Challenge 1:  Getting to the start line...
This was a hugh mental hurdle that did not go away until it was too late.  And then re-occurred for day 2!  However, I also had the challenge of actually physically getting to the start line.  My initial plan (plan A) was to travel with my support crew (Helen and Matt), however, they informed me when I arrived that they could not leave until after work.  Fair enough though a little more warning might of helped.  I arranged with a fellow competitor and friend from Scotland (Simon) to take me bike and went onto the sportzhub website to se if I could get a lift with someone else (Bryan) (Plan B).  This was almost all arranged when I happened to be in a local kayak shop.  One of the instructors (Cam) offered to to take me and my bike (Plan C).  Bonus, I thought, I wont be separated from my bike.  The day before race registration, I called to check what time we were leaving only to find it was too late for my registration!  Back to plan B, and a rapid drive across town to deliver my bike to Simon!

I got a lift with Bryan, a fellow competitor.  This was a pretty relaxed journey!

Challenge 2:  Finding my bike...
I arrived at registration at 2.30, registration was due to open at 3pm, and started to look for Simon and my bike.  I registered, no problem, but couldn't find Simon.  We had no mobile phone reception so had no way to communicate.  I set up my tent, a nice little spot in a clean horse stall, protected from any weather, and started looking for my bike again.  At 5.15pm, I headed to my sitting of the pasta party, hoping that I would see him there.  I finally met with Simon at 6.15.  Bryan gave me and my bike a lift back to my tent so that I could start applying all my stickers.

At 8pm, we had our race briefing.  I hitched a ride with another competitor (James) who had space in his car.

Back at my tent for 9pm I finally met up with my support crew.  Thank goodness I hadn't travelled with them but...

Challenge 3:  Kayaks...
Matt approached me and said "I have been thinking and have decided that you should us the sea kayak." (Instead of the eclipse 5.7, a really nice boat, that was strapped to the roof of the van).  I was a little confused but decided to go with the flow.  Matt continued... "We had a little accident on the way here, drove over the rachet strap stabilising the front on the kayak, practically snapped the kayak in two!!!" OMG!  This was Matt's pride and joy!!  This was only going to be the 3rd time the kayak had seen a river!  Matt had only paddled it once before!!!! OMG!!  Poor Matt.  He looked sick and probably felt it too. His kayak was insured, but that was not the point.  As far as my race was concerned, I was in luck.  Matt would go back home and pick up his old sea kayak whilst I was doing the running leg.

No comments: